Monday, May 5, 2008

Teardrop Trailer





The photos show the teardrop trailer I made last year from plans taken from a 1947 Popular Mechanix magazine. There's oodles of info about teardrops on the internet. There is a site that has converted all of the old plans to CAD files and has all the profiles of the sides as X,Y coordinates. Unfortunately I don't have the link to send you there. I used those numbers to lay the sides out for mine and it worked really well. The sides are made out of MDO - the stuff outdoor signs are made from. It has a smooth finish over a marine core plywood. It takes paint real well and should be pretty durable. The top is made from Masonite - smooth side out. I made a few changes in the construction of things but it's about 95% just like the plans call for. I took it on a trip last summer of about 2000 miles and it's just the ticket for solo travel or two people who are on very good terms.

I'll get into a little more of the details and how it all relates to my educational philosophy at a later date. I wanted to try importing photos. Not too tough for technology throwback.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Now I can leave comments about you being a schoolteacher and using poor grammar.

Grumpyunk said...

John Deere Green? Should have just gone ahead and done the accent in yellow!
Looks good, Chief. Bring the damn thing down here. I've got a present for ya in the garage. Made it myself.