Thursday, December 6, 2018

Stupid Hurts

Didn't make it to Indy the other day. I managed to drop the SV while loading it into the back of my truck and beat it and myself up a bit.

I have a retaining wall not quite 2' high where I park my truck, so I backed in and put the ramp on the tailgate. I left a little gap so I could get a little bit of a run up the ramp, making the ramp a bridge spanning about 18". With the trucked parked in front of the wall the tailgate was only about a foot off the ground. However, the ground there is still a bit soft from the well drilling job and there was a bit of icy/snow on the ground. No way I could push it up the ramp easily so I figured I'd just hop on and ride it up. Not like I haven't done that plenty of times. All was going well until I goosed the throttle a bit, the rear wheel spun and slipped off the ramp. The front wheel was in the truck already but the bike tipped sideways when I was trying to find something solid to put my foot on. I went down on my back like a sack of potatoes and the bike hit hard enough to break off the front turn signal and crack some plastic. I called Cuzzin Rick and had him come over to give me a hand getting the bike off the truck. We went out to breakfast instead of Indy and then I went to get checked out since I was sore as all hell and I felt something pop in my chest when I went down. Bad deal all the way around.

Other than I'm still a bit sore, the doc said nothing was broken. I was lucky I didn't hit my head on anything at least - I've done that way more times than I should have over the years. I got the you're getting too old for that stuff speech from the Missus, actually a bit more than that, and that hurt also.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the bike now. I probably lost half the trade in value when it went down. I'll check it over real well in a few days and then see about what it would cost to get it fixed versus trading it in as is, if that's even an option. Maybe make some side rails for the ramp also.

2 comments:

Surly said...

I believe it was the late Bill Mengel who said "If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough"
I'm glad you're ok.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Fortunately, the frozen gravel broke my fall. I'm still a little sore but probably a lot less so because I work out. I did find it rather amusing that I was extremely sore when I went to the doc and he told me to take a Tylenol for the pain. The doc who took the splinter out gave me a prescription for 40 hydrocodone.