Monday, September 23, 2019

Country Music



We've been watching the Ken Burns' Country Music documentary. Last night's show came on right after the Emmy preview the Missus was watching on another channel. I knew most of the people featured on the country music show but knew only a couple of the people on the Emmy show. In fact, I haven't seen any of the shows that were up for awards. I'm sure some of the shows are worth watching but I refuse to watch all of the commercials that take up at least one-third of the viewing time. I do watch some of the old television shows from the fifties - which have fewer commercials and if you order now you'll get another one of these amazing gadgets for free and free shipping.


On my first bicycle tour my buddy and I stayed at a bike hostel on the Katy Trail in Missouri. Right next door was a little bar where we went to get us a beer and a sandwich after we got bedded in for the night. After the sun went down they started doing Karaoke. After a few others sang the bartender came over to us and said we're up next. I'd never sang Karaoke before, or since as far as that goes, but when in Rome and all that, so I sang Tiger by the Tail by Buck Owens and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire if I remember correctly.

Kind of reinforces the point about the effect Country Music has had on everyone. I grew up listening to rock & roll and Motown stuff on WLS and WCFL out of Chicago, but I could have sung both of those "Country" songs without the Karaoke book. I could listen to those country tunes from the 50's and 60's all day long.

No comments: