Friday, June 13, 2008

Boxing Gym


























We worked on the boxing gym today. The top picture is the rack for the heavy bags and the second one is the speed bag platform. Both items were made in the shop here. I designed the speed bag platform and a couple of my students built it. I made the heavy bag rack myself. I like keeping my hand in, plus it's often easier to just make the stuff up myself rather than taking the time to make prints for the boys. The students also made the ring. I'll send along a couple of pictures of the ring as soon as we get the ropes on.

For those of you reading this who don't really know me, Shop Teacher Bob is also an amateur boxing coach. I've been taking a couple of guys to the Golden Gloves for the last few years and it's been a lot of fun. Amateur boxing is an excellent sport. It gets you in shape, develops both mental and physical toughness and provides another option for young men and women besides the team sports normally found at the high school. I've had a couple of state champions and a couple of duds. With a regular gym, the fighters should be better prepared before going to Indy in the spring. It will be easier to monitor their physical condition and be able to get them a fight or two prior to the big event. At least that's the plan.

We should have the heavy bags hung up and at least one speed bag ready to go next week. I've got to finish the turnbuckles for the ring, make a bracket for the double end bag and make a pull up bar yet. That should take care of most of the fabricating. That's why the world needs welders. Who else is going to do this kind of stuff?

No comments: