I've been hitting the barn project pretty hard the last few days. I had to replace two of the truss pieces that were damaged by the circular stair. If you look close at the bottom photo, you can see the top of the pieces where I had to fit them in. They were joined from the factory by metal gusset plates that have little spears punched into them. I was surprised how difficult it was to get those off. I figured I could peel them back and slide a new 2"x6" in and hammer them back home. No way can you roll them back and still expect to use them again. I ended up taking the Sawzall to them. I cut the metal plates along the joint line and then just cut the new piece on the same angle and there we were. I made some new plywood gussets and screwed those in to keep every thing nice and solid.
Since the strength of that corner was compromised by cutting through two of the trusses in order to fit the staircase in, I beefed everything up real well and got things as squared up as possible. I put a rim joist along the outside and tied it in on a couple of the other trusses. I also headered off the inside as well. The bottom chord of the outside truss will have to be replaced, so I can use the squared up corner to locate that.
I got everything out from underneath except the pile of sheet metal for the sides. I don't think it was damaged, so I might be in luck there. I just need to get it pulled out and piled up someplace out of the way, then I'll be ready to start with the moving process. I've got access to four mobile home axles that I'm going to bolt to the bottom of the roof section. I should be able to tie on to it with my tractor and pull it forward about 12' and there I'll be. Unbolt the axles and put the lifting cradle under it. Sounds easy enough. I don't have the rim clamps or bolts for the wheels, so I ordered 40 clamps today. They should be here in a few days. I can pick the bolts up locally.
I've got a couple of other things on tap this week as well but I'm going to try and get as much done as I can before the heat rolls in at the end of the week. I'm not going to Oklahoma, so that's not an issue. I need to measure up the front steps so the next time I head to the lumber yard, I'll be ready on that project as well. I've got a couple of little things inside I plan to knock out when it's hot outside - stay in the A.C. and take care of the inside work. I also need to mink proof the chickens. I planned on a nice easy summer just puttzin' around on projects. Seems like it never works out the way I want it to when it comes down to working on the fun ones. I do need a street bike, however. This was going to be the summer to put the finishing touches on the Honda or the 900. Maybe both. It's not looking too good right now but the shop at school is usually pretty cool, especially if I leave the door open from the classroom. Maybe I can get the 900 over there and work on it during the heat of the day or in the evenings after I get a little more done on the barn.
The weather man is talking close to 100 on Friday still. Stock up on water and sport's drink and don't over do it. I'm going to try and take my own advice on that as well.