Friday, June 3, 2011

In Vacanza

















I made it through another school year. That makes 35 total. I've had a few rough years along the way but this one was rough in a different kind of way. Much of what occurred didn't really have a direct effect on me, even though there was enough of that, but rather it was all of the crap that was going on in the various state legislatures. Since the laws have been passed, there's not much I can do about it now except wait for the pendulum to swing back the other way. I probably won't be in the classroom to see it but it'll come back around. Regardless, it's time for me to stop dwelling on the subject and move on.

I'm going to have the opportunity to use my little camper pretty soon. It won't be a nice beach setting like the one in the photo above but I've got a couple of excursions lined up. I'm going to the woodworking/spindle turning class and the forestry tour. The little camper and I will be able to get back on the road for a couple of days each time and should be just the thing to get my mind right. Traveling, learning new things and skills, - just what the doctor ordered. I'm also heading to Oklahoma with Jimmy for a fight in July. He's scheduled for a 10 rounder against the "Comanche Boy".

So the summer, for me at least, is officially here. I've got some plans for work, travel and goofing off, in no particular order. Spend some time outside, spend some time in the shop, spend some time at school, spend some time with family - just enjoy myself and keep working towards the goal of having everything pretty well ship shape for retirement. Also, I'm planning on working a little more on my Italian while I'm in vacanza. I'm not sure how or when but I'm planning on going back.

National Donut Day by the way. I'm thinking skip the donut and go right to the beer, myself.

Enjoy the weekend.














5 comments:

dorkpunch said...

In a way, I envy you... I *will* be in the classroom when the pendulum swings back the other way. 2 years down, 8 kajillion to go! Hopefully, it wont take to long for the pendulum to come back. Things are looking slightly up in our state. Have fun with the summer travels! For some reason, my summer enrichment activities consist of hours and hours and hours of sanding on a rusty old truck, rebuilding the motor, and generally putting way to much time and effort into a $200 rust bucket.

Traveling Pirate said...

I don't know if you're interested but here's an online Italian class offered through the local university: http://www.ed2go.com/pnc/online_course/iit/detail/Instant_Italian.html

Shop Teacher Bob said...

dorkpunch: You just keep fighting the good fight. While all the idiocy has been occurring there has also been a movement to bring more hands on education to the classroom. One of the local school corporations that has been in danger of being taken over by the state has brought the New Tech system to the high school with excellent results so far. There are good things happening out there, they're just being overshadowed by the knucklehead politicians that think the only thing wrong with public education is the teacher's unions and the benefit package.

I'd like to hear more about the truck, by the way.

Traveling Pirate: I'll look into that. I've been working on my Italian phrases as time allows. I'd really like to become somewhat fluent.

dorkpunch said...

If you promise not to laugh... You can see the entire "rebuild" here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685298

If you've never been to adventure rider, spend some time in Old School and Ride Reports. INCREDIBLE motorcycle forum with more knowledge than you can shake a stick at.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I checked out your project. Lots of work to be done but no better way to get some experience. At least the cab hasn't settled down onto the frame rails. The body mounts on those things have a tendency to rust away - I've fixed a few of them over the years. Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I'll be checking out the blog in the future.