Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend in Review




















# 765 Coming into LaCrosse





















Old Dude sportin' the Minnie Pearl look





















Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain





















Railfans


Myself, Cuzzin Ricky and his granddaughters rode the steam train Saturday afternoon. The weather wasn't the best to be out walking around and taking photographs but man what an impressive piece of machinery that engine is. It's great there are still some live steamers left and people can see, hear and smell the way things used to be. The train will be running twice more this summer at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum, June 18 & 19, July 2. Take the kids, take the grandkids, take yourself, but ride the train.















Update: After I wrote the post the Missus received a message that the train derailed on Sunday. We were on the last ride out on Saturday and were sitting in the very same car that's in the picture right by the sign in the window. You can read more about it here. Thanks Becky for your concern.

Rick and I did the annual dead relative tour on Sunday morning. We got all the flowers planted, had a nice breakfast, and I made it home in time to watch the last half of the Indy 500. I had to listen to part of it on the radio due to the weather. The sirens went off and the Missus and I headed down the basement again. I did refine things last week a little to increase both the comfort and the safety level. I've still got some work to do but after seeing the damage in Alabama and Missouri, making some emergency preparations will be time well spent.

Spent Monday doing chores around the shack, mowing, planting a couple more hazelnuts, etc. Since we went from heating to air conditioning season almost overnight, I needed to get the covers off the AC units and get them operational. Lots more to do but will have the time soon. The work schedule for the summer will probably be something like yesterday. Get up and get the chores done by noon. Stay out of the mid-day heat and then go back out for another go-round about 7:00. I need a screen door in my shop for working in the evening. The skeeters are really mean after all the rain we've had. A half day spent making a screen would make things much more pleasant and might get me off my ass to get a little more done in the shop.

Only today and tomorrow for final exams and then a couple days of Mickey Mouse crap and school will be out for the summer. A couple more years and I can call it a career. If the blog lasts that long I might have to add "retired" after Shop Teacher Bob, or squeeze in emeritus in the title - Shop Teacher Emeritus Bob. We'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it. I'm already practicing my mantra for next year: "Just one more after this one". Man, I'm going to be hard to live with.

Hope you all had a good Memorial Day.




2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Cool Steamer. I'd love to ride that.
Having a basement is a huge advantage for tornado protection. Sure wish we had one here. Been thinking that a guy could build an old fashioned cold cellar and make it big enough for a shelter too. Have to build it above ground and bury it. Water table is way to high to dig one in.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Steam trains are definitely cool.

The odds of getting hit by a tornado are pretty slim but the odds of surviving one without decent shelter are pretty slim as well. We were out in Kansas a few years back and we saw a bunch of those "fraidy holes" like you're talking about. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to come up with building plans. Your county extension office might be able to get you something. They've probably got some bomb shelter material left over from the 50's & 60's. You'd be set for a tornado and a nuclear attack then. Other than the lingering radioactivity, those tornadoes seem to do about the same damage. I heard this morning they got hit out East with one. Rough stuff, Bro.