Friday, May 6, 2011

Progress & Peeps















Things have been going pretty good the last few days. The boys have been working on their resumes - that's interesting. For something that should take only an hour or so, they've been struggling. Lots of misspelled words, punctuation errors and basically sloppy work. After several rewrites most of them are at least somewhat presentable, finally. It's no wonder they do poorly on the "Big Test". At least they'll have put one together before they graduate. We do a unit on finding a job - filling out applications, locating employers who use welding, resumes - all the things that should have them ready to go to find a job when they graduate. Unfortunately, many of them don't put much effort into it. Might explain why so many young people can't find a decent job. At least I've done my part.

We finished up the aerator/dethatcher. It came out looking pretty sexy. Should work, too. He can aerate or dethatch, either separately or both at the same time.

The shop's just about bare. We spent the other day cleaning up real well. Looks pretty good in there now. Almost a shame to do any work and drag all the tools out again. I'm going to be working on the big ass log splitter next week and try to finish that up before school's out (He says, very optimistically). The owner hasn't been around at all this year to check on the thing so obviously he's not real worried. It sat at a local welding shop for a year before it came here. He's a nice guy and we've done several jobs for him in the past. He's been pleased with our work but usually we jump on his stuff and knock it out right away. This time he made the mistake of telling me it's a back-up for his other one and he was in no hurry to get it back - which is the last thing you want to tell me. It'll be nice to get it moved out and create a little more room, however.















We've only got three and a half weeks of school left so I'm not sure how much the Building Trades boys will get done on the barn but the trusses are just about all up. They've got the spiral stair where it needs to be, so the next thing is to cut one truss down to give that some clearance and header off the floor to strengthen that up where they have to cut the whole in the floor. As long as they get the roof on the barn, I can work on the rest of it this summer. I've already bought the garage and service doors. I need to get a big door for up on top yet but the job is looking good. The rain has really slowed the progress.















The Missus picked up the chickens late yesterday afternoon. They were a little ahead of schedule but the little darlings are doing swell. They eat, drink, poop, and make noise which actually sounds a lot like my retirement plan. Hopefully I'll be able to get my tomato plants and my trees planted this weekend in between the raindrops and helping Surly move some things.

Enjoy the weekend.

6 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I saw this quote and couldn't help but think of all the lunch discussions regarding Indiana's one-size-fits-all approach to education.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I saw in yesterday's paper "My Man Mitch" signed some more ed. legislation into law. I thought that was quite ironic, seeing as how it was Teacher Appreciation Week. Now that all of this crap has passed, it should be about time for him to announce his run for the big office. In the meantime, I can try to teach the fish to climb trees and then have my pay determined by how well they do.

There just has to be a better way.

Traveling Pirate said...

There are definitely better ways.

leroy99 said...

I need a tree climbing fish then he could show my cat how to get down…. Did you get all your ground broke up yet? I have tiller mounted on garden tractor will make quick work of whatever you have got. I was thinking about stopping by and talkin shop. If you need I have 16’ enclosed trailer and truck with a cap, to help Surly with the move not sure what or how much you are moving and with the rain, just let me know. I ended up getting a summer class so progressing nicely with that. Tell the missus we all said Happy Mother’s Day. Give me a call if you will be around tomorrow maybe me and the boy will come check out those chicks and bring some homemade canned goods I need some room in the pantry garden season is fast approaching!!!!

leroy99 said...

I am in the book forgot to put that in.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

leroy99: I didn't see your comment until this morning (Monday). Garden's in and everything's moved. Thanks loads for the offer. Feel free to bring the little one over to check out the chicks. I'm usually always home Wednesday evenings.