Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Barn Roof








DIY Cider Press


















Sheet Metal On
The Roof





The Building Trades boys started putting the sheets on the barn roof yesterday. It was a pretty good day to be outside working. They actually made a pretty good dent in the job. They've got a couple of other things lined up this week to take care of but they should have the roof done in just a couple of more days at the rate their going. That will leave another whole week to hang siding and/or doors. That should put me in pretty good shape to finish up the job during vacation. It's going to be nice. I'll need to get an electrician in here to see what I need for wiring. There was power to the old barn but I need to get a professional opinion on what it'll take to give me a few lights and enough juice to run a couple of woodworking tools. I need to make a collar to slip over the center column of the spiral stairs to tie that in too. No biggie, just need to find a short piece of 3-1/2" pipe and then fab something up.

I got the boys started on the cider press but due to testing this week they won't be back in the shop until Wednesday so I started putting the thing together. Unless something else comes in the door, the metal work should be done by Friday.

I got an e-mail from the DNR about a workshop in Southern Indiana in about a month. I went to a similar one a couple of years ago. They're planning a tour of a state forest, lumber mill and a furniture factory. They have camping at the state forest, so I can hook up the little trailer and head down, spend a couple of nights camping and head home via my brother's place down that way. I haven't taken the little camper out in awhile. The place has both hiking trails and mountain bike trails. Don't know if I'll be able to ride the bike around but I can walk the trails and maybe do a little fishing while I'm there. It'll be nice to do a little communing with Mother Nature.

Have a good week and get outside in the beautiful sunshine.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

By looking at the structure, I’m sure that it took some time to finish everything. But based on the photo, I think everything went well since the structure and foundation looked sturdy. That was indeed a good day for you. I had an unfortunate roof repair experience when the rain suddenly poured. Good thing we were able to finish everything despite the rain. Anyway, years passed, I hope the long wait is finally over and you were able to use your barn now. :-)

Lue Madson