Monday, May 16, 2011

Good Weekend to Spend in Bed





















Pretty crappy weekend around here. Cold and rainy for the most part. The farmer managed to get my fields planted on Saturday so I'll have soybeans in the front pretty soon. I got the sheet metal for the barn picked up Saturday morning, went to the gym, came home and then vegged out the rest of the day. Other than a few chores, Sunday was basically a repeat. I'm pretty well caught up on my magazines now, though.

Surly sent me a link the other day to Special 79 Fabrications. The guy does some really nice work. I looked back through his blogposts and it looks like we have a lot in common. He's into hockey, Moto Guzzi's, he taught for a while and he makes motorcycle parts. Too bad he's out East, I'd like to meet him and talk a little shop. If you get a little time, check out his work. He's mostly doing handlebars and gas tanks, it looks like, but he also does some artsy, fartsy stuff, and complete bikes. He's got some good how-to videos as well.

I'm officially counting down the days until school's out (12 'til the little darlings leave). In the past when someone would ask me if I was counting the days, I always said there was no point in counting days when your still counting years. This year is different. I'll be glad to get away for a break and maybe I can come back in the fall with a little better attitude. There was a nice editorial in Sunday's NWI Times by Morton Marcus about the role high schools should play in economic development. Only takes a couple of minutes to read it and gives a different slant than what is usually bandied about. He makes an extremely good case.

As soon as the weather clears up a little, I'm heading out to the shop and getting things going out there. I need to do a serious organization/cleaning session. I definitely need to start seeing some progress on the motorcycle front and if I get the place straightened out a little, maybe it'll get done. I'm getting some professional help for a few things around the shack that can't be postponed any longer and I'm still not physically ready to tackle. I can't run but I can work on a motorcycle. I just need to pull the rag out of my ass and get after it. I missed the Hub Run yesterday, by the way. I ran the first one and the 30th anniversary one last year - sorta glad I wasn't out there in the rainy 40 degree temps.

Have a good week - did I mention only 12 more days?


3 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

THE ARTICLE FROM THE TIMES IS WHAT I'VE BEEN THINKING SINCE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL(FORTY YEARS AGO THIS YEAR!). THE SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH YOU HOW TO GET ALONG IN LIFE,ANYMORE ANY WAY. WITH THE MONIES DWINDLING ALL PROGRAMS ARE AT RISK. I KEEP THINKING THAT THEY ADMINISTARTIONS HAVE TO KNOW THAT NOT ALL OF THESE KIDS ARE GOING TO COLLEGE, DON'T THEY?

THESE CITIES AND COUNTIES AND STATES NEED QUALITY PEOPLE TO TAKE JOBS THERE IN ORDER TO CONTINUE SURVIVING. SHOULDN'T THE SCHOOL SYSTEMS RECOGNIZE THIS FACT, AND TEACH THESE KIDS THINGS THAT WILL ALLOW THEM TO FLOW INTO LIFE? OR AM I JUST BEING AN IDIOT?

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

TVI: There are a lot of people with good ideas that could be incorporated into education. Unfortunately, the people that make the most sense are usually ignored. Ultimately, all high school education is job preparation. This is where the Times article comes in. He should have written and sent that to the politicians before the legislative session started this year. As far as you being an idiot, what is it TVI stands for again?

tvi said...

TOUCHE