Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Darkroom








Photo From Here











Busy week already. We fixed the hitch on the drag for the baseball field, an air compressor tank, the frame on a 4 wheeler, and the rear strut tower on a rust bucket little car. I also got the prototype skid plate for the Rickati bent up.

I got caught up on some of my paper work and while working on that came across some new stuff I need to incorporate into my curriculum for next year. I just finished up the "mapping" to reflect the new state performance standards and now I need to include the reading standards. Apparently, since no one else has been able to teach the little darlings how to read over the course of ten to twelve years, it's going to be up to the Tech guys now. I'm thinking maybe they should just run everyone else off and let us do the whole job. If they figure we can do it in a shop environment with the old "hands on" approach, maybe that should actually be the delivery system of choice. Oh wait, that's what everyone who has a grasp on the situation has been saying for years. I did find it odd that I just stumbled across this stuff when someone, somewhere, should have been keeping me abreast of these changes.

There's a new guy at the state level in charge of vocational education and he's been earning his money at least. He put on a Webinar earlier this year to introduce himself and to get to know his people. I received an e-mail from him the other day asking for input from welding teachers to work on the standards during a workshop this summer. I'm going to check up on that and maybe I'll spend a little quality time this summer in Indy giving them my "two cents" worth.

The garden's in, everything else is planted, the chicks are doing well and the barn project is progressing. So in spite of the stupid crap that's happening at school and in education in general, my life is good. Hope that's the case with the rest of you as well.

Just as a little side note, the third year anniversary of Shop Teacher Bob was last week. I've actually been able to keep posting at least twice a week as per my original plan for three years. If you've been reading along for any length of time, you've been able to see the types of things that vocational students do and, hopefully, the importance of these types of classes to the young men and women who enroll in them.


1 comment:

Traveling Pirate said...

Feliz CumpleaƱos to the Shop Teacher Bob Blog! I would comment on the BS related to common core and reading standards but I'm trying to ignore all aspects of education in Indiana for the sake of my mental health.