Friday, June 10, 2011

Time to Relax ---















put my feet up and catch my breath. I got the yard all cleaned up and mowed except for the downed tree. I got things straightened up best that I can for now around the barn. I took apart the remnants from the walls that I could reach, pulled all the nails and stacked all the lumber out of the way after the insurance adjuster came out and took pictures. I called a guy in the house moving business about lifting the top of the barn back up onto new walls. He's supposed to come out the beginning of next week. I also talked to the wrecker service here in town. They have a couple of BIG wreckers. I did a little math and the top part of the barn weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 6500 lbs. They would have no problem picking that up with the one big momma they have. Depending on what the mover says, I might be looking at building new walls and setting the top back in place again. That should make for a couple of interesting blogposts.

I've got a couple of things already lined up for next week but I'm going to try and get out in the shop a little. Maybe get my screen door in place and get things cleaned up if nothing else. The roofers got started on the house. I hated to farm that job out but in light of the barn and chest deal, I'm glad I did. The acupuncture seems like it helped my chest but the lady said I should plan on quite a few more sessions as well as some dietary changes. I'm not so sure about all that. I think I'll see how I hold up to the barn project. I really don't want to be running up to the clinic twice a week putting a hole in the middle of the day, not to mention the money involved. Hell, it's been hurting for a year. No point getting in a hurry now. Plus, I think I actually figured out what's wrong. There's a name for it and everything.

Looks like we might get a little bit of decent weather this weekend. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.


8 comments:

cuzzin ricky said...

i like the idea of lifting the upstairs back upstairs the only problem i see with it is the rigging you will have to have to have so it doesn't crush the roof in on itself you will have to build a spreader bar that will be almost squareto lift outside the width of the roofsounds like fun though i'll start gathering up some shackles and slings at work cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

cuzzin ricky: I wouldn't get too concerned until I hear what the mover says and what the insurance company says in response to that.

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

I SURE HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU. I WAS GLAD YOU GUYS WEREN'T HURT, BUT I SURE WAS SAD ABOUT THE BARN AFTER STOPPING THERE THE OTHER NIGHT.ARE YOUR STAIRS DAMAGED? IT LOOKED LIKE, FROM THE PICTURES THEY MIGHT BE. THAT WOULD BE A SHAME. WELL I'M ON MY BIG ADVENTURE, I'LL TRY TO STAY IN TOUCH.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

tvi: It looks like just the top step was spun around a little which bent the last picket/baluster. I'm going to take the damaged sheet metal off and then I can pull the stairs out and know for sure. Regardless, it'll be a barn someday.

Surly said...

Considering the stairs were in two barn collapses on the same site...perhaps you should take them to the scrap yard and donate the money to charity. Bad JuJu.

Sorry I've been out of touch. I'll give you call in a day or two or I'll see you at the game on Wed.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Surly: Considering they were in two barn collapses and are still usable says something for them, though.

Grumpyunk said...

You'll get that thing back up there one way or another. Either one of those guys should be able to figure it out. I got faith in ya.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: It'll get done, one way or the other. I'm not on any kind of deadline but it would be nice to have it done this summer. In the meantime I'm pounding away at a lot of little jobs around here. I'm want to have the place ship shape when I retire.