Monday, June 13, 2011

Screen Doors







































Got busy on the new screen door for the shop today. Since I'll be teaching woodshop next year, I went to school and made the door over there. I got a chance to use a few of the tools and see what was what for hand tools and supplies. I need to spend a day cleaning and organizing and then put a list together. I've been digging out some project books here at the house to start putting a few ideas together. I have a copy of the curriculum from the last couple of guys who were in there. I need to spend a little time looking at that before the first day of school.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the door for the shop and work on one for the gym as well. The Missus picked up a couple of screen doors for a couple of bucks each and I need to figure out how to hang at least one of them. The gym is in a steel building and the door frames are not made to accommodate screens. I'll cut the door to fit the opening and take it from there.

It's going to be a little bit of work getting the woodshop (and me) all up and running, but I need a new challenge and some more experience with woodworking tools. I should be able to squeeze my wooden boat project in there somewhere, which will be fun. Maybe a boat and a canoe. I want to tackle the Northern Forest Canoe Trail someday before I get too much older. 740 miles from northern Maine to Old Forge, New York. Camping, portaging, paddling - could be quite the adventure.

Now that most of the storm damage is cleaned up here, I'll tackle a few of the jobs around the shack while I'm waiting to hear what's going to happen with the barn. I should be able to start working on a few of the fun projects before too much longer. I need to get my fishing tackle out. I bought my license and the place I'm staying in Southern Indiana for the forestry tour has fishing. I didn't get out once last year. There's just no excuse for that.


2 comments:

Surly said...

I just heard about a guy that used to work where I do. His table saw kicked back and took his thumb off. Can't be reattached. A lesson for us all.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

That's my main concern about teaching woodshop this next school year. The tablesaws are the Safestop type that drop the blade out of the way if they touch skin, however. Hopefully the worst I'll encounter is a nasty splinter. I've already got a new safety video that covers all the shop tools.