Friday, June 17, 2011

IVY Tech +

Had an enjoyable day at IVY Tech today. They hosted a get together for dual credit instructors, that is, people like myself who teach classes at the high school level that have signed an articulation agreement with IVY Tech so the high school students will receive college credit. They had all the teachers seated at tables according to classes taught and they had IVY Tech people at every table as well. There were some nice introductory remarks and then we all had a chance to talk over what ever was on our minds. We had some very good discussions, much of which centered on what the state mandated changes are going to do to us. It wasn't just a bitch session, however. I learned a few things about IVY Tech and what they're doing, had a chance to talk to a couple of younger teachers in my field, and got a chance to just talk a little shop - nice to be able to hear what others are doing. They fed us lunch, we talked some more and then went on a tour of the facility. I also got the door prize for driving the farthest - about 70 miles one way. That's dedication there, Mitch.

This was posted at Bookpuddle:

Don't you know that love isn't just going to bed? Love isn't an act, it's a whole life. It's staying with her now because she needs you; it's knowing you and she will still care about each other when sex and daydreams, fights and futures -- when all that's on the shelf and done with. Love -- why, I'll tell you what love is: it's you at seventy-five and her at seventy-one, each of you listening for the other's step in the next room, each afraid that a sudden silence, a sudden cry, could mean a lifetime's talk is over.

Nice, huh. Shop Teacher Bob's an old softy at heart.

And, how 'bout them Bruins? They're my second choice to win the Cup but I would have worn my Bruins sweater today if the weather had stayed cool.

I'll close by reiterating what was in my last post as well as the theme for today's meeting. Get some training/marketable skills. Vocational classes, IVY Tech, wherever. Not sure what to go into? How 'bout this? IVY Tech is now offering a class in servicing the big wind turbines. Lots of things out there. You just have to go for that brass ring.


4 comments:

Traveling Pirate said...

I love the combination of love/commitment and the Bruins. Very STB.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Yea, I'm a multi-faceted gem, no doubt about it. We need to get together with the two Kevins. We've got lots to discuss.

Traveling Pirate said...

Yes, we do. That whole toast I taught you guys got me into a little trouble on my birthday. Funny story.

domestikdeva said...

A lovely statement my dear, me too.