Thursday, June 16, 2011

Motorcycles and Voc. Ed.













I came across a pretty cool blog - Life with Tin Toys - the photo link will take you there. It's got lots of motorcycle stuff with nice photographs. I haven't had a chance to dig too deep into it and a lot of it is written in Italian but since I'm trying to learn a little of it, that's a plus for me. It also features a lot of vintage and racer stuff that hopefully will inspire me to get busy on a couple of things around here. Won't be today, however. I've got a meeting at IVY Tech for dual-credit instructors.

I finished the screen door for the shop and the hired guns finished the roof and gutters. Just in time for the storm that came through yesterday morning, I might add. I need to work on the front steps next. I get those done along with a little painting and the outside of the shack will be in pretty good shape. I've still got some things to take care of inside but there is progress being made.

My buddy Kevin sent this along. It's a short editorial about the prejudice associated with vocational education. It's definitely worth the read. It's also evidence that in spite of everything that has been going on in education this Spring, the pendulum, if not starting to swing back the other way, has at least slowed in it's arc towards insanity. Mike Rowe is a very strong advocate for the working man and what that means to this country.

Last week's Time magazine stated 47% of Americans said their household couldn't come up with $2,000 in 30 days without selling some possessions. Being the cynic that I am, my first thought was maybe they should give up the satellite dish, the fancy cell phone, cigarettes and beer. Or better yet, maybe they should have payed attention in high school. Vocational education is optional but everyone has to take economics. Maybe everyone needs a little refresher in the definition of opportunity cost. Get some skills, get a job and save a little money for a rainy day. Live within your means. These aren't new lessons but if 47% can't put together two grand in 30 days, you know many of these people are of retirement age, particularly when it said households. People my age damn sure should know better than to put their full faith and trust in the government to take care of them. The government made IRA accounts available to people something like thirty years ago. Take some responsibility for you own well being.

We need to once again become producers of things. When you manufacture goods, you manufacture wealth. Someone needs to be able to pay for the war effort, the interest on the debt and Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. Only people with decent jobs pay taxes. Only people with decent jobs can afford to have a satellite dish, a fancy cell phone and money in the bank as well.

Read what Mike Rowe has to say and sign the kids up for some shop classes.


4 comments:

Surly said...

A good friend of mine told me the other day that he has no savings account left and just a few hundred bucks in cash at the house. He's paying on a Caddilac, a truck, and just bought a camper.

dorkpunch said...

Wow, great thoughts. I managed to make it through college without any loans, and we are currently debt free with the exception of our house. I don't know how we'd survive if we had any other payments... Have to have something going on the side just to make ends meet as it is.

EXCELLENT article. Might need to paste a giant poster of Rowe up in my room! I have a brother in law that is a computer whiz, but when it comes to anything technical/mechanical, he's hopeless. My sister called me the other day wondering how much a repair should cost on their van- because the dealer wanted $500 PLUS PARTS. To replace an EGR valve. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it doesnt take more than 1/2 hour to replace the part on their car...

"If the woman don't find you you handsome, at least they'll find you HANDY!"
-Red Green.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Surly: $4.00/gal fuel to drag the camper around isn't going to help matters any, either. The issue of manufacturing jobs and fiscal responsibility came up again at the IVY Tech meeting I attended (must be a shop teacher thing). We need to get this country back on track by producing durable goods and being fiscally responsible, both us as individuals and as a country.

dorkpunch: I mentioned your teaching bicycle repair at the meeting today and a couple of the guys thought that was real cool (one guy builds recumbent trikes) and then they wondered how you got away with it. The people in charge need to realize it's not always what your teaching. As long as they're using tools to build or fix something, it's a good thing.

Mike Rowe and John Ratzenberger are both doing a lot to help our cause. We need a few more advocates like these two.

I asked the people at my table today if they were aware of any type of forum for guys like us and came up with nothing. I'm going to get together with my buddy soon and see what we can come up with.

Alberto said...

Hi! I'm glad you found my blog and shared it on yours. Thank you! Keep on following me, lots of pictures and inspirations are on their way! See you!