Monday, December 1, 2008

Dashing, Simply Dashing
















I got the dashboard for the midget pretty much done. I still need to file it up a little and drill some mounting holes but it's pretty much there.The "kit" from Eastwood for engine turning isn't much of a kit but rather a couple of abrasive sticks and a little pamphlet of instructions. Worked like a charm, however. It's very time consuming to do but it sure looks sexy when your done. I started with a rectangular piece of plate that I had welded the steering boss onto. After boring the hole through at the proper angle, I screwed the plate onto a piece of 2x6 and clamped that down on the table of the milling machine. The swirls are 1/2" in diameter, so I stepped over a 1/4" each time. Each row had a 1/4" offset as well, plus I moved the circles ahead 1/8" as I advanced from row to row. Easy to do on the milling machine. You don't really need .001" accuracy for engine turning but why not? If it wasn't for the time required, I'd engine turn everything I own.

Finally showing some progress on Cuzzin Ricky"s buggy. We should be bending roll cage tubing real soon. That will be fun. The vocational boys are looking forward to giving it a try. These are the kind of things that make welding fun. All new material and every time you work on it you have something to show for your progress. A whole lot more interesting than the rust repair I'm still facing on my own VW. We get his roll cage and steering hooked up and there won't be much more for us to do. Maybe I'll actually get a little something done on mine when his rolls out.

The Super Tot Rod is job #1 right now. I've only got about three weeks until Christmas but it's progressing along right smartly. Most everything has been sandblasted or sanded down. I need to find some plastic bushings for the axle. If Ace is the Place doesn't have them, I'll have to order them in. Not really a problem as long as I get it done real soon.

Didn't get as much done over Thanksgiving as I wanted to. I managed to catch a cold so I took it easy the last couple of days. I did run the 10K Thanksgiving morning. I've decided to try the progressive marathon that will be held locally in the spring. There's a 5K, a half marathon and a ten miler on three consecutive Saturday mornings. As long as I can fit the time for running into my schedule, it should be fun. That way I'll get four more tee shirts, besides. I think next year I'm going to start giving them away for Christmas presents.

No comments: