Friday, October 22, 2021

Harvest Day

 


As predicted, the farmer showed up yesterday to pick the corn. So it's official, winter's on the way. You could feel it in the air yesterday as well - temperature's low to mid-fifties, cloudy and gusty winds. About time to break out some warm clothes.


This will be my view looking from the porch now until spring, unless it's snow covered, that is.


No frost warnings yet but it won't be long. The few peppers and tomatoes I planted this year still have a little produce I can harvest but with the colder temperatures and the shorter days, can't count on much more. The chickens have already started to throttle back on the egg production. As long as I don't have to buy any, I'm good. 

I bought into the CSA this year and was happy with both the amount and quality of the produce, however, the Missus didn't care for some of the offerings. I think next year I'll sign up again but get the smaller quantity, rather than the middle amount every week, since we had some go to waste. Knowing now what the offerings on tap are, I'll think I'll plant a few more things in my garden to get a selection more to the liking of the Missus and to get some things to preserve. Food prices are probably going to remain high. Seeds might be hard to come by also.  

The Missus and I went to the dentist yesterday - I needed to have an old filling replaced and the Missus was scheduled to have a tooth pulled. There was another patient having some troubles, so an ambulance was called and my appointment got put back about an hour, with the Missus rescheduled. Didn't do diddly after getting home. I figured taking the afternoon off rather than working in the shop would give my chest a chance to heal before I did something stupid again. If the truth were known, a visit to a thoracic surgeon is probably what I need. I went to several doctors years ago and got no where. After falling on my back while loading up the motorcycle a couple years ago, that seemed to help the situation, as crazy as that sounds. In the meantime, I'll just watch my Ps & Qs and get a few light duty things done.

No comments: