Friday, March 10, 2023

Soup

 

Watermelon radishes - pretty things when you slice them open.



Soup made from root veggies from the CSA. I'm getting to be pretty good at making soup from the variety of veggies I get. Some of the vegetables are rather bland, others have very distinct flavors. Some of them cook up pretty quick, others take a while to soften up. Seasonings vary, depending on the vegetables. I used a teaspoon of ginger and Old Bay for this batch. Worked out well. I've been putting at least one serving in the freezer out of every batch I make. It takes awhile to defrost in the microwave but it's a good hearty meal with no other prep work involved and only a couple of dishes to clean up later.

I've been keeping busy piddling around with the to-do list. Nothing really any more exciting than making the soup. Just a couple of days of being a domestic. I used to work with a guy who when asked when he was going to get something done would reply, "As soon as I get back from Detroit." Of course, he never went to Detroit, but in my case, it's the truth. I'll be spending a lot of time out in the shop after I get back from Detroit.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

probably very good with rice or pasta.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've done both, brown rice seems to go best with the root vegetables. I'd never dealt with several of these vegetables prior to signing up for the CSA. We always had a garden when I was at home, but it was traditional summer vegetables, not turnips, rutabagas, celeriac, Daikon and watermelon radishes. However, everything is healthy and organic, so that's a good thing. It looks like a food shortage might be on the horizon, so I should probably figure out how to grow some of these late summer/fall vegetables myself.