Monday, July 3, 2023

Marty Robbins, Lilies, Sportster, & Another 5K

 


One of my favorites by one of my favorites. I thought about posting the Tex Ritter or Eddie Arnold version but Marty's version is the one I like best. I really dig the old cowboy tunes.



The lilies are coming on strong. Pretty flowers that require very little upkeep. Just what the doctor ordered. Did some yard work yesterday, in between the showers. Mother Nature's always trying to take back what's hers. I'm going to have to put the grandson on the payroll if I'm going to get ahead of it.

I put the cam gears and cover on the Sportster yesterday. According to the manual, you're supposed to use a new gasket and torque the bolts to 8-10 ft pounds. I bought a cheap inch-pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight a couple of years back, but I'd never used it before. Since my ft-lb torque wrench is an old beam type, I figured the new click type would be just the ticket. Which it would have been if it actually clicked when it was supposed to. I put the screwdriver tip in the vise and pulled on the handle and no matter where I set the torque, it didn't want to click like it was supposed to. I used the ft-lb wrench but stayed under the 10 lb. setting. The last thing I need is to break off a screw in the case.

I followed the sophisticated system to check the end play - sticking a screwdriver down the lifter hole and prying the cam over - but I didn't check the end play with a feeler gauge like the book calls for. My eyeball, however, tells me I might need to get a few more shims. I'll see about checking the end play with the feeler gauges today. The manual calls for .005" -.012", except for number 1 intake which is .004"-.010". Nothing too precise.

I got a text from my running buddy about another 5K tomorrow. It's at a small town that's just far enough away it's in another time zone - thanks Mitch! It's an 8:00 am start, meaning 7:00 my time meaning I'll have to get about 5:00 for us to make it there in time to get signed in. I'm in if she's in, but she hasn't decide for sure yet. They are having a pancake breakfast after the race and no rain in the forecast. Probably worth getting up early for.

I got my "racing bike" out yesterday and got the tires pumped up so I can start training for the race at the end of the month. Should have started training a month ago but just another thing the "frozen shoulder" affected. 


No comments: