Saturday, September 5, 2026

Spirit of '76

 

Birthday yesterday - "Another day older and deeper in debt." Actually, doing pretty good financially. Starting on my second million - because I gave up on the first, as the old joke goes. Had a good day - went to lunch with a friend and then came home and mowed the back yard. Can this guy party, or what?

Taking stock of my situation as I normally do on my birthday, my life is damn good right now. After the heart attack in December, I figured I better get back on the program. My weight's down. I need to lose three more pounds and I'll be a middle weight again. I've been doing some Tai-Chi exercises to keep the muscles moving without a lot of pounding or strain on the joints. I've been doing a bit of strength training but my arms still look like toothpicks. I need to add more protein to my diet and cut out more sugar. I'm still a work in progress but all things considered, looking forward to a few more years, God willing. No way I'm going to be able to finish all the projects if I don't have more time. 

Fortunately, the mental game is still good. I've become a little forgetful like a lot of old farts - walk into a room and forget why. Still not bad, though. I've been weaning myself off the news. I like to stay informed but not much I can do to change the world. I did get my paperwork turned in for mail-in voting, mostly to benefit the Missus, but as long as I was at the courthouse I got mine as well. As long as you're over 65 you can get mail-in - beats standing in line.

The temperature is supposed to cool off starting today to something more seasonable. The heat index yesterday was 105 again. I waited until the sun went down behind the tree tops before I mowed, so it wasn't too bad - glad I installed the bottle rack on the mower. Going to mow the front yard today and hit a couple of licks on the oil tank job.

Life is good. Take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Prepare for the future. Live long and prosper!  

 

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

happy freakin' B-day now git back to work.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Too hot! Heat index of 105 yesterday