Beautiful day yesterday - in my book I'd call it perfect. I was supposed to go walkies with Coach Jen but her stepson was involved in an accident, and we decided it might be better to call it off - would've been a really good day to put in three or four miles, though. Instead, I primed the gas tank and battery box on the Allis. I've got some paint in the quart I used to paint the radiator shroud and the hood, but I didn't want to mess with the spray gun or paint it with a brush, so I ordered a rattle can of Allis orange. It doesn't have to be a perfect match. As long as it's close it'll be better than rusty orange.
It was also a great day for hanging a barn door. It took a little finagling, but I persevered just like Sgt. Preston of the RCMP - "We always get our man." If you look closely at the gap on the left side of the door, you can see a pretty healthy 1/4" up top and next to nothing on the bottom. The door frame is formed by a pair of 6x6 posts that are wrapped in sheet metal. No way I was going to be able to bump the posts outward, so I did some trimming on the sheet metal down low as well as grinding down some of the wood underneath it. It opens now without any interference even if you can't see any gap along the lower left side.
The striker plate for the deadbolt lines up but the one for the doorknob is off by about 3/8". I'm going to make a new striker out of some thicker material as well as making it longer in order to get the screws into new wood.
The gap under the door is the lowest spot around, so water and snow pool there. I'm going to dig out some dirt and replace it with gravel so the water will run down into the dirt rather than rusting the bottom of the door off like the other one and keep me from falling on my keister when the puddle turns to ice in the winter.
The weather's looking good for the rest of the week, so I'll continue spending some time on the outside chores and doing whatever else suits my fancy.


No comments:
Post a Comment