Monday, July 2, 2012

Welding History

Photo From Welding Mentors
I stumbled across a site that's all about the history of welding. It's at weldinghistory.org, appropriately enough. With all the hot weather, when I'm not riding the recliner, I've been wasting some time on the computer. Surprisingly enough, there's some interesting things out there. I'm not bored enough to start my own Facebook account yet but I can amuse myself for a little while with things, automotive, motorcycle and photography related on the www. I found the welding history site at Workshopshed. That site has lots of welding, metalworking, foundry, etc. links there. If you too have time to kill, there's plenty to keep you busy there for a while.

Surly came down yesterday so we could chat a little and check out some material for a job he's thinking about. Most of our chat was centered around the subject of diet. Not a weight loss diet, necessarily, but a healthy, long term one. I've been doing quite a bit of reading about heart healthy diets and those that are supposedly capable of reversing atherosclerosis. Most everything I've read points to a vegan diet with a regular exercise regimen. However, there seems to be strong evidence for the exact opposite with the Paleo diet and other meat and potato type diets. No one seems to be recommending cheap sandwich cookies, highly processed foods and large quantities of high fructose corn syrup, though. So maybe it's as simple as that. If they sell it at the Starvin' Marvin or the White Hen, don't eat it. Lots to ponder on this subject.

Looks like it's going to be in the 90's all week - 98 tomorrow. At least we got some needed rain over the weekend. I feel sorry for those poor folks on the East coast that are without power in this heat and humidity. I think "Global Weirding" has arrived.

No comments: