Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Think It'll Snow?

















Here's a shot out the side window of the shack yesterday about 4:30 in the afternoon. Days like these I miss my old dog. She was crazy about the snow. We used to do a walk in the woods just about any time I had a snow day. As a matter of fact, I had one yesterday. I drove to the college for my Lab Tech gig and got there about 12:50. I took my coat off and was talking to one of the instructors in the Weld Shop and he said they hardly ever close the school. About two minutes after that, in came a security guard and said they were closing the school at 1:00. Nice 50 mile round trip for nothing. I did find out that the notification system I signed up for worked, however. Right after the guard came around I received a text message about the closing and when I got home I had an e-mail on both my school account and my personal account about the closure. Something to be said for that technology, I suppose.

I spent most of the rest of the day doing some long overdue cleaning. I put another bag together for Goodwill  and went through a bunch of ephemera. Since by definition, ephemera is printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved, it certainly begs the question: Why in the hell do I keep this crap? Character flaw, obviously. Now that I've got the waste stream flowing in the right direction, I need to figure out how to keep more from coming in.

I also finished reading Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman yesterday. Having been published in 1985, it's a little dated but everything that is said in the book about television you can transfer to computers and smart phones. Millions of Facebook accounts will certainly bear that out. Or bloggers, for that matter. If you see it on television or read it on the internet, it's not news. It's entertainment. Thanks to Rich for mentioning the book in a comment left a few posts back.

Time to get myself shoveled out. More like fire up the snowblower and the tractor. As long as I can get down the lane, that's about all I need. I was going to go out yesterday and do a little shoveling just about the time my sister-in-law called. She told the wife it's heart attack snow - wet and heavy. No point in arguing that one. It's supposed to get warm this weekend. Might as well let the guy who put it there clean it up.

No comments: