Monday, September 8, 2014

Chicken Coupe


Can't be a sedan, there's only two doors.

Spent most of my energy over the weekend working on the chicken coop. I lost another chicken the other night when it didn't come home to roost. Lost several more earlier this summer when they got caught in the corn field when the sun went down and they decided to become involved with something slightly higher up the food chain. So the two remaining pullets have gone from free range birds to yard birds. The picture above is not the best, and it was taken before the job was completed, but I painted the trim, put new poultry netting over the top to keep the chickens in and the hawks out, plus I used some sheet metal I had salvaged from the old barn around the bottom to keep anything from burrowing under the fence and, hopefully, going through it. I liked letting the girls out during the day but I see no reason to support the local raccoon population. They're doing just fine on their own. I suppose a chicken tractor would be a good summer alternative. I might consider that for next year.

Keeping the varmints in check can be a real chore. Mice, squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, deer, mink, woodchucks, moles, 'possums - we've got them all and all of them have caused some type of issue around here at one time or another. Except the skunks. Fortunately we, or the dogs/cats, haven't had any run-ins with those but you can tell they're around. I did catch a few mice in the sticky traps I placed under the hood of the pickup truck and I rid the world of a piney squirrel over the weekend. I'm going to continue with the traps for a few more days before trying to fix the truck. I remember reading that most every animal is instinctively aware of and afraid of lions, so lion poop will keep other animals away. If the circus ever comes to town, I'll have to get myself a truck load and spread it around- if the truck will start, that is. I did learn that I can haul 2x4's in the little clown car if you fold the seat down - you can even close the deck lid if they're just 8 footers.

Off to run some errands and by the time I come back the dew should be off the grass enough that I can mow again. Need to do it today because it's supposed to rain again tomorrow. At least it's not snow.

Have a good week. 

No comments: