Sunday, January 10, 2021

Scooter Stuff

I picked up a truck load of Yamaha SR 500 stuff a couple of weeks ago. It appears there's most of two bikes. Definitely two frames with wheels and I saw a couple of engines but they weren't fully assembled, so I'm not sure what it would take to make at least one of them into a runner. I stuck them in the storage space, so one of these days I'll get over there and sort through the stuff. I've got an engine stand for motorcycle use that I made years ago. It has a head for the Kaw 900 motor but no reason I can't make a head for the Yamaha and set that up in the storage space. There's no electric there but since it's only 5 minutes away I can get one of the frames set up and start sorting/making parts a little bit here and there. Keep everything in the storage space so I'm not tripping over anything else in the shop.

The big question is what do I make out of all this stuff? 




I'm a big fan of cafe bikes. The middle photo above is my old SR500. It's a '78 as is one of the frames, I believe. My buddy, who I got the bikes from, has a SR500 himself that's all set up in the classic cafe style. He said I could borrow his big aluminum tank for a pattern if need be.






A flat tracker would be cool - just the ticket to ride down to the mailbox and cut a few laps around the barn, slinging gravel out in the yard that I can hit with the mower later. Instead of the fiberglass seat, maybe go old school solo saddle with a pillion pad mounted on a short fender like the BSA above. 

I've got several things ahead of this to finish up first. I definitely want to bring the jitney to the finish line along with the Rickati trials bike. I'll be getting back on those as soon as I get the OK from the eye doc and get myself fitted for glasses if need be. If I pull the rag out of my ass, I should have both of them knocked out by the end of July. That's a definite must do. Especially since the cooties will still be hanging around at least until summer.

I received an e-mail from Hitchcocks, where I bought the headlight grill for my Himalayan. They've put the Royal Enfield workshop manuals on their site for both the older bikes made in Redditch and the newer ones from India. I took a look at the one for my Himalayan and they look like they are very well done - they even list the tools required to perform all the operations. As little as I ride mine, probably never need any info beyond what's in the owner's manual but it's nice to know the info is available if need be.

I've got a couple of little things lined up for today - no heavy lifting but some things to get me out of the house and get me set for laying around the shack again next week.

No comments: