Friday, November 21, 2008

Midgets and Tot Rods































The midget is progressing like most of my projects - steady by jerks. I did get the seat back done and a start on the floor. I'm currently working on the dashboard. I bought a kit from Eastwood to engine turn it but I haven't had a chance to put it into action yet. As soon as the dash is in place I can hook up the steering. Hook up the pedals and it's going to be pretty close to being done.

The other pictures show a Murray Super Tot Rod I'm working on as well. My wife drug this thing home a few years back and it has been hanging in the shop ever since. I decided it was time to be done, so I'm trying to get it finished in time for Christmas. It had been run over by a car or something. Kind of bent up in places and missing a steering wheel, the steering rod and a front wheel. I've got it pretty well straightened out, made a new steering rod and bought a few pieces from Speedway Motors. They had a steering wheel and a decal set. They have front wheels but at $22 something each, I decided to pass on the wheels. I'm figuring some type of lawn mower or utility type wheel for maybe $6.00 or $7.00 each. I'll see what I can come up with. A little sanding and painting and it should be a cool little pedal car.

Nice thing about all of this is the fact that there are two grandsons. When the older one out grows something, the little guy can take over. Grandpa can then build something else for the big guy.

No comments: