Saturday, January 24, 2009

Friday Night Fights























































My partner in the gym, "Gentleman" Jimmy fought Friday night as the co-main event at the Radisson here in Northwest Indiana. He won a six round decision over the same opponent he fought on his last outing. He won that one also but it was a real ugly affair ending in the other fighter being disqualified. This one had it's moments as well but Jimmy was finally throwing some great uppercuts to go with his left hook. He looks pretty good in both the before and after photos here. He looked a little worse this morning at the gym but not too beat up. Nice job on wrapping those hands, even if I do say so myself. You've got to have lots of gauze over those knuckles when you've got a heavy hitter using only 10 ounce gloves.

Coach Ernie and I worked in the gym this morning putting up some more equipment. I made up some 2 x 8's with angle iron brackets bolted to them for hanging four more heavy bags - two regular bags, an uppercut bag and a "wrecking ball". I need to pick up a little more chain and some "s" hooks, make a couple of benches for the changing room and figure out some kind of cubbies or shelves for the guys to throw their gym bags in and then we'll be about set. I need to get that stuff finished up - it's about time to start cranking it up for the Gloves. Plus, I've been so busy I haven't had time to work on my other projects. It'll settle down here pretty soon and I'll be able to get into a routine. I'm really enjoying the workouts, I'll say that.

3 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Good job for you and Ernie! You're right, he didn't look to bad there and the wraps look real good.

How's the weather up there? I can't get out of the driveway here. 4" of snow. Then 2 " of ice, followed by another 8" of snow. I spent the yesterday getting half the drive clean and I know what I'll be doing all day today. Should have kept one of those tractors I rebuilt.

Oh well, that's life in the Midwest.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Weather has been more typical of winters of yore. It got cold and stayed cold with snow every so often. Snowed a couple of inches yesterday. I'm going skating or cross country skiing this weekend. If it's not going to go away, might as well embrace it. They're racing motorcycles on Cedar lake again, by the way.

Grumpyunk said...

Holy Shit! I'd love to see that again. I haven't seen an ice racer in ........... A long friggin' time.