Friday, April 3, 2009

Champions
















The boxing club got its first two champions last night. We had four fighters entered in three fights and ended up with two champions. The highlight of the night for us was the fight that had two of our guys battling each other. Everyone pretty much had the outcome pegged before the fight started, including both fighters, but the underdog kept swinging. The kid has a lot of heart for being only eleven years old.

All fighters have to wear USA Boxing approved headgear, a mouthpiece, be clean shaven, and wear a cup or groin protector. We tell all the fighters about this and last night I asked one of the guys if he had his cup in and he replied in the affirmative. About twenty seconds into his fight, however, the thing falls out. The ref hands it to me and I have to shove it back into his underwear! The kid had a cup but not a regular athletic supporter. About twenty seconds later it falls out again and the ref says if it happens again he has to disqualify the poor kid. Because the kids pretty short there was enough length to his jersey for me to tuck the cup inside it and then get him fixed up so it stayed in the rest of the fight. Looked like the kind of thing that would end up on Funniest Home Videos.

We've got five guys next week. So far, everyone has fought real well, even in defeat. I'm real proud of all the guys, especially the youngsters. It's no easy task to make the sacrifices that boxing requires. Hopefully we'll have a couple more Indiana Golden Gloves champions when the tournament is over.

4 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Congrats to all the kids and the team! Would have liked to have made it up, but Sindy isn't doing to well and I've been sticking close to home.

Maybe the video of you fixing that kids cup will pop up on You Tube.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks - it would have been good to see you. I've been going through the sick wife thing myself. Not good. I'm planning on heading south after school's out. I'll see you then, if nothing else.

Grumpyunk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grumpyunk said...

The door's always open for ya. I may answer it w/ a .45 in hand, but that's getting to be SOP.

Come on down, Bro. No appointment needed.

Had a technical glitch on that first try. Fucking Tourettes again. Woof!
I make me laugh sometimes.