Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tandem's Done







Rear Triangle on Jig

















Rear Triangle














Finished Frame







I finished welding up the tandem bicycle frame this morning. I would have had it done yesterday but they forgot to send the little bosses for the bottle cages with the frame. They're putting four cages on the frame so I needed eight bosses. I had three leftover from a bike I made in the past and they had one stuck in the frame so I welded the last four while the guy waited.

The frame is really nice. It can't weigh more than 5-6 pounds. The welds look OK - if I had been in on the project a little earlier we could have used smaller filler as I noted in the previous post and I would have gotten some smaller collets and tungstens for the TIG torch. If I was going to do this on a regular basis, I'd buy a smaller torch. They make a couple of real tiny ones for just this type of work. They're only good for about 100 amps but on jobs like this one, I probably never used more than 50. Mine is just too clumsy for real fine work where you have to travel rapidly while constantly changing direction.

He's going to bring it by after it's all put together so I can see the finished product. I'll post a couple of photos then.

No comments: