Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Here's The Scoop





























The scoop is for the sidewalk salt at the gym. With my Depression era approach to things, I made it out of an old coffee can and a piece I turned in the Woodshop. I suppose I could have gone across the street to the Dollar General and found one, but injected molded plastic things just don't do it for me. Nothing like $50.oo worth of labor for a 99 cent part. I also got a 5 gallon pickle bucket from the cafeteria to put the salt in. I'm going to miss making all this crap on company time when I retire.

Since I finished up the north side of the barn over the weekend, the only thing left to have it closed in is the sheeting on top and make the man door. I don't think it will take too long to hang the sheeting on the top section. It'll be a little tricky cutting the sheets around the bracing for the fly rafters but as long as I'm careful with my measurements, I should be good.

We're still gluing up the door. We had a little trouble with that yesterday. Apparently they didn't quite understand "Move everything out of the way and get all your clamps ready before you start gluing" even though I told them at least four times. I'm hoping to get the second go-round on that today and I'll come in over Thanksgiving break and put the two halves together. Depending on the weather, I might make the crossbucks and bracing. I'm going to rout a vee shaped groove on all the glue joints of the individual pieces so any water that hits the bracing will run through plus it will add a little decorative touch. The cross bucks would be better on the inside from a functional standpoint but will look better on the outside from a decorative standpoint. I'll also weld the hinge pins in since the hinges will be exposed on the outside. I'm going to make some faux straps to match the big doors, paint the door white and the straps black so all the doors will be the same style.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I know I've got plenty to be thankful for.

6 comments:

cuzzin ricky said...

just a quick note happy thanksgiving to you and yours i checked out the rumble and its dec 30 and 31 regular times thyinking maybe the 30th it's a friday breakfast and a trip to big r and all the regular stops we usually make let me know cuzzin ricky,the president

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'd like to go but have to check on a couple of things - always a good time though.

dorkpunch said...

I usually end up doing the same thing- $400 dollars worth of labor into something you probably could have bought for $100. Case in point- Spent several hours last week building a stirling engine out of pop cans. Works great though, and the students loved it! I oughta post that on my blog...

Shop Teacher Bob said...

It's important that the students see a variety of work and that they realize you don't have to buy everything. plus it's fun. I'd like to see the stirling engine. You need to post more anyway!

dorkpunch said...

Posted a few things on my blog including the stirling engine... Have a few other things to post whenever I get to it too, but at the rate I go, it could be a while.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I checked out the engine - pretty cool. We need more builders and makers. That's the kind of thing that gets kids interested. Keep up the good work.