Sunday, November 29, 2015

Roadster


Both Photos From Here


Since I was still a bit under the weather, I drug a couple of my books about Indy cars out to see about a little inspiration for the torsion bar suspension design I would like to use if I ever get around to making another sidecar for my 900. Of course one thing led to another, in this case, the predictable conclusion of me looking at building a complete car someday.

I grew up listening to the Indy 500 on the radio every year starting in the late 50's. The Offy powered roadster designs of Kurtis and Watson were the cars to beat until the rear engined cars came in the mid 60's. I always thought the best looking race cars of all time were the Watson roadsters with the shark nose like the one above. From the link, it's obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I don't know what it would cost to build a street legal replica or something similar. No need to put an Offy in it, a Chrysler slant six would work just fine. A quick change rear would be nice but those aren't cheap, likewise the steering gear, torsion bars and arms would cost a few bucks. Vintage tires and wheels would probably be the real bank buster. Coker makes a Firestone half tread replica in 18" that would fit a Rocket wheel of the correct design. That would set you back about $700 per corner. With shipping, probably around $3K for tires and wheels but that set-up would be a must. Probably $10K at a minimum and that's without farming any of the work out. 

Probably should just stick with working on the bikes for now.





No comments: