Saturday, January 29, 2011

Apple Grinder

The cold weather has slowed my progress on a couple of projects and I experienced a minor setback on the Rickati project. I had put on the swingarm on the table in order to tack the tabs for the brake stay in place and a kid snagged it and threw it to the ground. Of course all the tack welds broke and now I need to put that back together. However, I want to get started on an apple grinder and cider press.

I bought myself a book on making the Whizbang Apple Grinder and Cider Press. It uses a garbage disposal for the apple grinder, which I never would have thought of. If I can find an electric motor fairly cheap I should be able to build both the grinder and the press for a couple hundred bucks, tops. So keeping in mind the resolutions, I'm collecting parts and modifying the plans for aluminum frame construction as opposed to all wood as the plans call for. Shouldn't be too hard to construct and I'm a big fan of apple cider. One of the main reasons I planted the trees in fact. Just have to finish it if I start it.

If you check out the link, it'll take you to the authors website. Lots of good self-sufficient agrarian stuff there. That's a big part of the retirement plan - to become a subsistence farmer. Perhaps not a lofty goal but if I can stay healthy, it should be an interesting one. Tinker in the shop, tend the garden, feed the chickens, make some cider and take the Ol' Gal into town once a week for a few necessities and a non home-cooked meal. Exactly the kind of lifestyle my mother was afraid was going to be her fate after my dad retired.

4 comments:

tvi said...

HEY "BOB",

I THINK THAT BECOMING A SUBSISTENCE FARMER MAY BECOME A NECESSITY IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE "FOOD, INC.", YOU SHOULD. IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THE ENTIRE FOOD CHAIN IN THIS COUNTRY.AFTER WATCHING THAT MOVIE ALL THE ILLS OF OBESITY, HEALTH CARE, ETC., BECOME VERY CLEAR AND SCARY.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm looking at it from a survival standpoint. That is, my financial, mental and physical well being should be improved helping my chances of survival. Not like end of the world black helicopter survival but live long and prosper survival. Of course, if the WTSHTF scenario would come to pass, if certainly won't hurt to be mostly self sufficient.

Grumpyunk said...

That Cider site is cool. The self sufficient thing along w/ market gardening is exactly where I've been going here.

Gotta good laugh w/ that last line.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I should have some cider this year. Most of the apples have been going to waste. If the grinder works like it's supposed to, should be able to make a few gallons in no time at all.

Glad you got a chuckle.