Monday, July 27, 2026

Sock it to Me



We've got a young lady coming in one day a week to help out around the house now. I figured she would be doing cleaning chores, but the Missus decided moving everything around in the kitchen would be the first order of business. I can no longer find anything, but who am I to argue? Anyway, the Missus handed me the little teapot in the photo and asked me if I could knock out a couple of dents in the side of the thing. I was able to fit a small ball peen hammer inside the teapot and work a little metal shaping magic on the dents. I filed off the high spots followed by sandpaper, Scotch-Brite, buffing wheel and a final polishing with some Auto Sol. It's not perfect, and if was a motorcycle part I probably would have done a little more sanding with a finer grit, but as the old saying goes, good enough for the girls I run with.



I ordered some crew socks from the Amazonians thinking that's a no brainer. However, such is not the case. I should have read the fine print a little closer. The photo looked like what I wanted, but even though they were sold as crew socks and work socks, they are more polyester than cotton, meaning they stretch to over the calf length. I was looking for socks that stick out about 1/2" above my 8" work boots. If I wanted over the calf socks, I'd be looking for some like Chuck Wepner had on in his fight with Ali. Actually, I used to wear those when I was training back in the seventies. I haven't seen those on any of the fighters in a long time. They probably went out of style about the same time as Wepner hit the canvas. Anyway, I still need some cotton crew socks, and who wears polyester work socks, anyway?

No comments: