Sunday, October 11, 2026

Sunday Recap

 


The weather has been great lately - so nice in fact it's confused the crabapple tree. There are quite a few blossoms on the tree even though most of the leaves have already fallen. It didn't produce any fruit this year, likewise neither did the other apples, and only a few peaches also. The persimmons have some fruit. Hopefully, I'll have enough fruit to make a couple of loaves of persimmon bread.


The shiny gas cap showed up late Friday evening along with the piece of brass for the basement lathe project. I've still got some paint left from painting the gas tank, so I think I'll paint the top of the intake snout. 

The brass rod is about .004" oversize, so I'll have to turn the OD a skootch when I've got it in the lathe. When I get that done, I'm going to try and tackle making a new screw for the cross slide. It's a left-hand Acme thread, something that's going to be a stretch for my ability as a lathe operator. I've cut many a thread before - metric, standard, right-hand, left-hand, and Whitworth, but never an Acme. First time for everything, though.


 And from the what in the hell was I thinking files, I went to the storage space the other day to drop something off, and when I came around the corner to leave, this chair was sitting out in the gravel. I liked the look of it but kept going. Later, when I took the cleaning lady home, we stopped to take a good look at it. All oak, no loose joints and it was originally finished with shellac, which comes right off just by rubbing a piece of sandpaper across it. The cleaning lady said I should take it home, so we loaded it up. I've got no idea what I'm going to do with it, but the cleaning lady and I will get it restored and she can put it in her hope chest if nothing else.

I did a little plumbing job for my sister-in-law yesterday morning, sharpened the spare mower blades, installed them and then cut the front yard in the afternoon. I'm waiting to hear about walking this afternoon. Depending on how that goes, mowing, machining or both.

No comments: