Sunday, October 26, 2008

Links and Blochs

I finally had a few minutes to figure out how to add links to the page here. The high mileage page has a couple of posts up now. I need to get the young man to do a little better job of proofreading before he posts but that's easily enough handled. The other site is for those of you who are book lovers. The Bookpuddle site is updated daily and usually has a quote from some author or a short poem, sometimes a cartoon. I read constantly and I have an interest in just about all subjects. This site fills in some of the gaps I wouldn't ordinarily take the time to pursue.

Speaking of books - I just finished reading Stand for the Best by Thomas Bloch. Thomas Bloch was the CEO of H&R Block and stepped down to teach middle school math at an inner city school. Interesting story of his development as a teacher and how that led to the founding of a charter school. He offers a very unique perspective on teaching. I thought it was important enough to read that I even paid regular bookstore price instead of buying remainder books like I normally do. If you teach or are interested in charter schools, read it. As an aside, he mentions he has done some bicycle touring on part of the Lewis and Clark trail and wants to do some more. Since he's only a couple of years younger than I, I think it would be pretty interesting if the two of us could try to hit a little more of the trail together. I'd like to eventually cover the whole thing, filling in the gap between Missouri and Montana. Plus, I'm sure I could learn quite a bit about teaching by comparing notes with Mr. Bloch.

No comments: