Thursday, February 26, 2009

Big Job


































We're working on a big job in the shop right now. The boys and I are stretching the frame on a semi tractor. We're putting eight feet in the middle of the frame and adding four foot to the tail end. The new frame rails were made up by a local fab shop and we're doing the rest. I made a jig to build the new crossmembers and we have those about half done. We're welding splice plates to the side of the new frame rails and are planning to have all the crossmembers bolted in place prior to cutting the truck apart. If all goes according to plan, all we'll have to do is cut the truck frame, roll the tandems back and drop the new frame assembly in place. It should be fairly easy to square it up that way and there won't be a lot of welding to do. I've got some reference marks punched into the frame that we'll be able to use to square it up.

The boys are getting pretty excited as we get close to cutting the truck in half. I don't normally take on jobs this big but I have a good group and I've done this type of work in the past. It's giving the boys a lot of valuable experience and breaking the monotony of them welding practice plates every day. I've got two guys that are certified that will be doing any of the welding that I don't do. I'll weld the frame splices myself. Not getting much else done but it should be finished in about two weeks.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

That is a Big Job. Post a couple of pics as the job progresses. Cool shit.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I stayed after school a few minutes to finish the last crossmember. With a little luck, we should be able to slice it in half Monday morning. Need to make sure everything is in order first. That big stuff can hurt you.

Nice post with the Jefferson quotes. This country sure has drifted away from his less government = best government.