Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Midget Update
























I got a little work done on the midget the other day. I'm hooking up the steering and I made a support bracket for the inside of the nose sheet metal. I've got a couple of big jobs in the school shop right now, so everything else will be slow going. The weather was unseasonably warm on Saturday though, so I made it out into the shop and machined up a little bushing for the steering on the midget and made a piece for the steering on the high mileage vehicle. I also made a couple of pieces for my bike building jig.

I used to rake a lot of frames for drag racers and I made several complete frames for motorcycles so I made myself a building jig. I'm thinking about building another bicycle for myself so I decided to make some pieces to convert the jig from one kind of a bike building to another. I got a good deal on a Bridgeport milling machine for the school shop this year plus I've got a couple of guys that need some practical experience, so I figured now would be a good time to put one of them to work getting the jig tooled up. When the kid gets done with the bicycle fixtures, I'll put him on making some pieces for a 250 Ducati frame. I had most everything I needed at one time but I think I scrapped them out by mistake. It's not like me to throw anything out, let alone something that I had plans to use sometime down the road. I've got a buddy who'll let me borrow a stock frame, so it's not a tragedy or anything, just some lathe work making spacers. The rest of it the kid can make up.

So as always, it's steady by jerks here at project central. The scatter gun approach eventually pays dividends. Stay tuned for the next exciting installment of who knows which project!

1 comment:

Grumpyunk said...

Projects and more projects.
It's good to have a mission in life ain't it?
I figured out lately that at the rate I'm going I could live to be 100 and still probably leave a list of things not finished. I'm cool with that though. That'll give the boys something to do.