Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Weather

The weather has turned to crap once again. Northwest Indiana is getting lots of snow and wind so once again I have a two hour delay. Not really a bad thing from my point of view - start at ten and go home at 3:30. The shortened class periods really limit what you can get done in a welding class, however. Besides the delays, I now have six or seven days to make up this school year. A couple of days were canceled for the -15 temperatures, so big sissy that I am, I decided not to go out in my shop at home and work, which means I'm not getting anything done on my projects. I have been getting caught up on my reading and some general sprucing up around the shack. I'm putting some shelves up in the basement and cleaning off the HO train board. I'm thinking the grandson and I should be able to have a little fun with the train.

I used to have a pretty nice layout in the basement of the first house I owned. I painted up the walls and put a couple of lights over the train board and it was fun for both my son and I. Mostly for me - he was pretty young at the time. We moved and the train never got put back up other than a couple of times around the Christmas tree. When I moved in here I was teaching a construction class at the time, so we constructed a train board. I put a little loop of track together but that was about it. Mostly it became a flat surface that collected junk but a few more really cold days and I'll be laying track. I've pretty much decided on the layout and I think I've probably got most everything I need for the track. I know I've got more rolling stock than I'll ever have room or need for but when you're talking hobbies, even too much is rarely enough, right?

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Yep, that damn Global Warming is a real nut buster, eh?

I recently gave my HO car setup to a young guy with 4 young boys. Along with a bunch of other crap that I haven't used in a decade or 2.
You have a pretty good collection of stuff if I remember right and the setup you mentioned was nice. Yeah, get after it.

BTW, nice looking welds in those pictures below. It looks like, Dogboy has kinda given up on welding at this point.
I've thought about starting into welding myself, since you live to far away to bail my ass out when I need it!

Think Spring!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

If you're planning on doing some welding, I'd recommend signing up for a night school course at IVY Tech or your high school in MIG welding. Most things automotive and agricultural can be patched up with a MIG. For versatility, you still can't beat a DC stick welder, though.

Nice opening volley on the restart of the blog, by the way.