Sunday, March 8, 2009

Boxing Exhibition




















All the fighters from our exhibition a couple of weeks ago got medals for participating. I can hang my medal up next to my Dad's boxing trophy. He won the 147 pound division Golden Gloves in Michigan City in 1940. He was a scrapper - even fought a couple of pro fights. When I started fooling around with boxing he showed me how to wrap my hands and gave me a little advice. I never got too involved because I was married and going to college but like most things my brothers and I were involved in, he always supported and encouraged us. If he were still around, he would've had his 89th birthday the day before the fights. He would have really enjoyed being there.

The video is the second round of Shop Teacher Bob versus "Brent the Bruiser". I'm in the white shirt and red trunks. Watch for the "Holmes Hammer" at the start of the round - it's a big overhand right. It wasn't part of the script but one of the other fighters hollered for it so I turned it loose. "Fun for the whole family" - yeah, buddy!

3 comments:

Surly said...

Nice job, Pop.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks, son.

Grumpyunk said...

That dude really is a bruiser. I know how big you are and that guy makes you look small. Not making fun, but clenching with him? You need a LOT more ass to do much of that. Thought he swallowed you there for a second.
Good Family Fun indeed.

You do The Old Man proud. Nice that you got his trophy fixed, too.