Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Boxing on Saturday Night




















We had another boxing show/fundraiser for the gym Saturday night. All the newly painted chairs looked pretty good in there. We had a sell-out crowd again and most of the matches were paired up pretty well. Big Dave fought a guy about half his size but took it real easy on him. I went against a young guy who just wouldn't stop coming at me. I showed a little bit of my potential in the first round and let him throw a few at me in the second. I told Jimmy to have the kid go easy the last round and we would work on a couple of things. Of course, Jimmy told him to turn it up on me. He managed to sneak in a couple of shots and gave me a little something to remember him by. Kind of a crappy picture but the do it yourself photo session at 11:30 (photo taken Sat. night) was about all I could muster up. Like all shiners, they take a couple of days to really look their best anyway. We took a picture of Ernie, Jimmy and myself after Monday's workout and sparring session that's a real doozy. Jimmy just got a mouse under his eye from sparring, Ernie's nose is bright red from some nice uppercuts, and I'm sporting a two day old shiner from Sat's exhibition. All of us with big grins and battle scars. The things guys do for fun!

That's going to be it for me boxing. I shouldn't have been in there anyway with my previous head injury. I'm definitely going to miss it. Anyway, the gym is doing well, I've got about 25 more chairs to paint and the van to start working on. I'm going to have one of the boys at school put a rack together for the medicine balls as soon as I get a moment to draw up a sketch and we still need to get the chin-up bar mounted. Always lots to do.

4 comments:

leroy99 said...

I dont know if he was half my size more like two thirds but it was still fun. Sounds like another show in Dec. with me and Ernnie. that will be worth practicing a little for!! The eye looks good by the way!! See ya thurs.

Grumpyunk said...

Mohamed Ali has this to say about shots to the head, post brain injury- "Mumble, ugh, MumbleMumble, argh, Mumble, gack."

GrumpyUnk snarks and runs away laughing!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unk: I have gotten a lot of mileage out of it from the boys in school. Besides, chicks dig 'it. Only thing better is a puppy. If you don't believe me, stop by next time you're up this way and I'll fix you up.

Grumpyunk said...

That's why I like you, Chief!