Monday, October 19, 2009

The Rail Bike Lives!
















The rail bike made the maiden voyage yesterday. It runs down the tracks pretty much like it was made to, surprisingly enough. The outrigger wheel could be out just a little more to center it up on the rail a little better and the wheel on the bottom of it seems to be a little noisy but it works.

Here's the rundown on the bike set-up. I started with a Schwinn Varsity girls bike that a former student gave me. I read somewhere on the internet when I started contemplating this project that a girls bike is the way to go because of the difficulty getting on and off with the extra height of the track. This one wasn't much of a prize with all of the chrome being pretty rusty and the wheels rusty to the point there wasn't any chrome left on them at all. Because it had nice horizontal dropouts, I converted it to a single speed. You don't really need much of a speed selection on railroad tracks because the grade that a train can navigate normally doesn't exceed about 3%. I put a couple of other wheels I had laying around on it and bought two new tires. I also put a couple of new brake cables and some better brake pads I swapped out from one of my other bikes.

The outrigger upright is made from a piece of aluminum tubing and a caster wheel I had in my box of misc. wheels and casters. The arms are 1/2" thinwall conduit. They are bolted to the bike frame in three locations with ears welded to the frame. The front guide is made from 1/8" sheet metal with old skate board wheels used to keep it aligned to the track. The wheels are adjustable for width to get a snug fit on the rail. Two other wheels ride on top of the rail (see previous rail bike post for photo). This assembly is connected to the bike fork by a couple of angle iron arms bolted to a boss on each fork leg. These will allow it to pivot upward if I get around to adding the lifting rod and handle.

Total cost for the whole thing is probably less than $30.00. I remember the tires were ten bucks each and the 1/2" EMT is about $1.25/stick. If I wasn't such a junk collector it still wouldn't cost more than $75.00 as long as you had a donor bike. If you had to pay someone to fab all of this crap together, it would be a different story. If you figured in research time on the internet and engineering time, it would be a whole lot less than cost effective. However, one of the great benefits of being a shop teacher is being able to work on this goofy crap on company time or at least using the facility whenever you want. If, after putting a few miles on the thing, it seems like it's going to hold up alright, I'll get some yellow paint and rattle can the rest of the parts to kind of match up with the bike color and to prevent it from rusting. Actually, as bad as the bike looks, it wouldn't hurt to paint the whole thing.

So where to ride the thing? There's a train museum not too far from here that offers excursions. They have about ten miles of track that runs from their yard to another little town. They only run Saturday afternoons from May to October and the occasional extra on Sundays. The track runs through some nice bucolic country and there's only a few grade crossings. Spend an hour or so each way with a couple of photo stops and it will make for a nice Sunday outing. The outrigger will unbolt and fold flat against the side of the bike. With a little more work I can rig up a couple of brackets to hold it in place easily enough. That way I can fold the thing up and ride the bike to a restaurant for breakfast, then put it back together, throw it back on the tracks and come home. It should be fun.


The screaming you hear at the end of the video is the Missus hollering at the cat. The cat wanted to climb up the Missus' leg because I interrupted her lunch so she could video tape my maiden voyage and the cat smelled the bacon she had been eating.

7 comments:

cuzzin ricky said...

well you can punch out my eyes now cause ive seen it all how fast can you get that thing off the tracks when one of them coal drags is barreling down on you heading to nipsco maybe i can fix you up with a tranco work pass in case you get caught up on the cow catcher and they just shove you right into the plant that way you could just check out at the drive in gate and ride on home i think you need to find a less traveled route cuzzin ricky

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm thinking a rear view mirror would probably be a good accessory item, first thing. It only takes a couple of seconds to drag it off the tracks but seeing a train in the mirror would probably speed things up. I might take a shot at riding it to work some day when I'm feeling bullet proof. Need to stay healthy so we can finish your buggy.

citizen55555 said...

I'm impressed, and glad to see it working. How fast do you think she would run with 1 gear? Also was there much drag from wheels gripping the track? What do you plan to do with the bike when you are done? I saw a rail bike online where the track wheel was on a lever that could be pulled up while riding if you wanted to exit the track or go over a road that had paved over the track. I'm really interested in a 2-man paddle boat style rail bike that can also exit the track and steer it's way into town. Any ideas?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Citizen55555: The gearing would probably let you cruise along at 12-15 mph. I've got the freewheel on the back wheel still and the dropouts are nice and long so I could probably change to a higher gear if need be. There doesn't seem to be much drag - it pedals real easy and seems to coast fairly well. I just took a short spin, however. I planned on making the lever to raise up the front guide but no telling if I'll ever get around to that. A 2-man rig you can take off the rails and ride away? It'd have to be close to 5 ft. wide. Don't know how practical that would be but how practical is a rail bike? No reason you couldn't adapt one of those two seater bikes with a pair of track guides or something that would drop down between the rails, I suppose. It would be a nice engineering exercise.

Grumpyunk said...

Dude, that rocks! Reminds me of George C. Scott in, "the Flim Flam Man."

Grumpyunk said...

Here's a video you may find interesting along these same lines - http://www.sondrak.com/index.php/weblog/obamatrak/

Surly said...

That shit at the end of the video is HI-LARIUS. That cat has climbed up my damn leg a time or two so I can laugh.