Monday, November 16, 2009

Any Port in a Storm





















We made a couple of these ports for a stereo set-up in a kids car. The kid's bound and determined to lose his hearing by the time he's 21 but I did warn him that good doesn't always equal loud. Since Mr. Tin Ear is not an audiophile, I wasn't sure at first what he was even talking about when he said he wanted to make a couple of these things. I guess they're usually made from plastic and since he's a little hamfisted, I did understand the part about him breaking one.

These are 18 gauge cold rolled sheet we rolled into a cylinder and then turned the flange on top with a pair of pliers and a hammerform we made up real quick from a piece of flat bar. I gas welded both pieces and rolled the flange on the one in the photo. He flanged the second one and it came out just about as nice. I was glad to see he took his time and did the filing necessary to make the job look nice. The boys are starting to figure out that they can make all kinds of things here with a little bit of effort.

We're making an expansion chamber for a little Honda scooter now as well. We've got the cones rolled up and welded. I'll post a couple of photos next week.

No comments: