Sunday, January 17, 2010

Log Splitter, Cylinder Head & Rickati








































One of the tech teachers I work with is building a log splitter that goes on the front of his Bobcat. He put one together but the thing didn't stay together for very long. The hydraulics on the Bobcat were more than what he designed the splitter to hold. These things happen. In fact, that's why they have engineers and all that kind of stuff. Anyway, I'm helping him put this thing back together with a little more beef. He's using scrap material that he's collected, so that limits some of the options, but as Uncle Pete used to say: "It ain't much to look at but it's hell for strong". I spent a few hours on the welding and I set a couple of the boys up learning to run the track torch. It was nice being able to fab some parts and do some serious stick welding for a change. I worked up a little sweat and got my face dirty - just enough to enjoy it and remember why I didn't make a career of it.

The cylinder head is from a Buell that belongs to one of my students. The studs holding the exhaust pipe broke off and he gave it to some hamfisted chucklehead who attempted to drill the one out by strategically drilling the hole 1/4" off center. Not even close. And not a little hole, either. Makes you wonder what the hell he was thinking. You can see he drilled a small pilot hole first and then opened it up. If he would have quit with the pilot hole, he could have saved every one involved a lot of grief.

If you look close you can see the other stud. It was broken as well but had about 5/8"of thread sticking out. I had the kid weld a nut on the thing and then with a little penetrating oil and heat, I backed it right out. It's going to be a little tricky with the other one but just like the Mounties, I always get my man.

The other photos show the battery box and the coil mount for the Rickati. I'm planning on holding the battery in with a couple of rubber "O" rings so I need to weld some clips on the box yet. When I get that done, I'll tack it in place on the bike. Not much progress on the bike the last few days, what with working on everyone else's projects, but it's still going forward. The photos were taken using the food setting on the new camera. Obviously there is wide range of color choice if you compare the three photos. The bottom photo is the midrange or neutral color and the other two are the extremes. The shadow in the corner of the box was actually left there on purpose. The lighting was identical for all three shots and it's interesting that with the yellow tint there is almost a glare coming off from the more brightly lit area. Shadow detail is good, like what you might want for some portrait work. A little shadow is necessary to give depth but a lot can make the wrinkle lines look really pronounced. Still lots to learn with the new camera.


After working on the Motobi, I'm thinking maybe bright red for the Rickati frame. A little premature for paint selection maybe, but I'm starting to see the finished project in the mind's eye and I'm liking what I see.

1 comment:

Log Splitter Cylinder said...

One of the tech teachers I work with is building a log splitter that goes on the front of his Bobcat. He put one together but the thing didn't stay ... logsplittercylinder.blogspot.com