Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lookin' Like A Sickle






























The Rickati is progressing right smartly. I got the shock mounts and gussets tacked on today. Pulled the frame off the jig and bolted the front end on so I good figure out what I need for the steering stop and put the motor in. That didn't go quite as smoothly as I hoped. I had to cut a little off the side plates to clear the side covers but nothing an oxy-acetylene torch and a grinder couldn't fix. I need to dig through my boxes of parts and see what I've got for handle bars and levers. I'm going to have to get some shocks for sure. I need to order in a "U" bend of tubing so I can make an exhaust pipe. J. C. Whitney sells exhaust tubing that has a 180 degree bend and 36" straight sections. One piece like that is enough to make a nice high pipe. I have an exhaust nut I made a few years back already. I'll make a small muffler for the end of it out of aluminum. I've made quite a few pipes for these little things over the years. Paint the pipe black and it looks real nice with the aluminum muffler. Maybe a stainless heat shield by where my leg will go. The main thing now is to keep pushing forward.

The other photo is the cart the boys made for the new plasma cutter. It's a little rough but it was their first attempt at fabricating anything. It works like it was designed to though and the new plasma is a dandy. You just can't beat a plasma cutter for that 1/8" and 3/16" sheet.

3 comments:

Surly said...

That looks quite nice, Chief. I've got a set of bars for you to try. The Sammy Miller bend off the Montesa.

Grumpyunk said...

Cool. Looks like a sickle.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Surly: I'd like to try the bars. How can you go wrong with Sammy Miller?

Unk: I'm going to keep pushin' on this one. When I get it done, a street bike is up next. It's been too long.