Thursday, July 28, 2022

County Fair

I went to the county fair yesterday afternoon - beautiful day to be out walking around among the unwashed. It doesn't take too long to take it all in. It's rather small as county fairs go and it doesn't usually get rolling until 6:00 and I'm usually long gone about then. However, I ran into several people I knew - former colleagues and students from the high school, along with some current friends, so I was there a bit longer than normal. Time well spent, however. 


Interesting brake setup on this pulling tractor. You have to steer the tractor with the brakes when the front end is off the ground, so decent brakes are a must. The Minneapolis-Molines normally have a drum brake on each side. This one has been fitted with disc brakes, individual master cylinders and Wildwood calipers. 


Cute little homemade tractor but what really caught my eye was the name. I went to high school with a guy name of Leichty - not a real common name. He and I used to ride motorcycles together. He had a Honda 90 and I had a Honda Sport 50. We worked together for a while at a black top outfit. He drove a truck and I worked as a utility man - drove the roller, worked on the paver, shoveled gravel and blacktop. We got together with the wives occasionally as well. He passed away at least 25 years ago, maybe more. I think about him every so often but seeing the name on the tractor brought back a lot of good memories.

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I wish I had a Honda 90 and a Honda Sport 50. I hope you didn't accidently run over dirty ol Leichty with a steam roller and you just not want to talk about it. he rode his Honda 90 right into your path, not your fault. like in the cartoons.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Nothing as glamorous as a cartoon type ending - The Grim Reaper came in the form of cancer, like it does for so many. Had a good time while it lasted, though.