Monday, July 4, 2022

Head Repair

 


Finished the Ducati cylinder head repair. The plug hole had been drilled oversize and had been threaded 3/4 fine. The brass bushing was a different thread but that didn't stop them from installing it. I ran a tap through the hole and cleaned up the hole then made a new bushing. Instead of a short reach plug as original, it's now set up for a long reach. 


After threading the new bushing in I welded around the perimeter. Only issue with the whole job was when the torch cap bumped the tube for the bevel drive, I wiggled, and the arc wandered over to the valve seat on the exhaust side. It looks worse than it is in the photo. When he cleans up the rest of the weld he can touch that up as well. There's one in the finish column and on the bench for less than a week.


When I went back to the gym a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to hit the speed bag but the two platforms that I liked using in the past both had bags hanging from them that were blown out. Apparently, Jimmy bought a couple of cheap vinyl bags and hung those up. I had a decent one at the house that needed a new bladder, so I installed a new bladder and laced it up. The only problem was I came up short with the lace - didn't have enough to get the last two holes. I tied a piece of string across the top two and that should hold it for a while. Can't run a boxing gym without a decent speed bag.


I went hiking yesterday and put in about five miles. On the way home I heard Brother Ray singing this one. In spite of all that's transpired the last few years, I'm still rooting for the home team. There's going to be some tough times ahead but what we've got is worth fighting for. 

Enjoy the holiday and watch your fingers!


No comments: