Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Work Train




I heard this thing coming yesterday morning and had plenty of time to get to the window to take a look. It was only moving 3-4 miles per hour, I would guess. 


The reason it was going so slow was because they were spotting ties along the track. Rather surprising since they had done the same thing a few years ago and the track is just used to feed coal to the power plant and the power plant was supposed to have been shut down by now. However, in spite of all the solar panels that have been installed on prime farm ground around here, the power company isn't allowed to shut it down, for which I'm very grateful.


Behind the engine was a short string of gondolas, a flat car with a ramp for the backhoe to get up on top of the gons, and this flat car with what seems to be a generator set. It was running but I don't know what it was powering. 

The photographs look cloudy for two reasons. The window needs to be cleaned and it was spitting snow. Later in the day it started to come down pretty hard. We got enough snow to cover the ground even though the ground was warm. Definitely looks like winter's here.

I went out in the shop in the afternoon and puttered around a bit. I need to get things cleaned up so I can run the heater up front. I'm going to work on that a little more today after I put on my long underwear. That'll be standard attire until April 1st.  

No comments: