Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Going Thru Those Chain -es


One of my all-time favorites and de rigueur around here when working on bike chains. 


Which is what I did yesterday. I installed the chain on the Sportster - had to take a few links out of it, but nothing to that. I struggled a bit putting the side link on for the master link. That baby was a tight fit, but it's on. It's the old-style master link with the spring clip rather than a riveted link. Actually, both types of master links were included with the chain. I choose to use the one with the spring clip in case I need to take the chain off in the future. The back end of the bike is done now. As soon as I install the front tire, I'm going to push the bike into the corner and cover it up until spring. 

The weather has turned cold. I had to bring all the plants in to keep them from frost damage. I had to put on a regular coat while working on the bike. However, it's November tomorrow and we've had a nice autumn. The trees were quite pretty but the leaves are starting to fall. In fact, my crab apple and persimmons are pretty much naked now. I was planning on only having to mow once more but the grass has kept growing, so I might have to mow the grass and then chop up the leaves at a later date.

Coach Jen got the details on the Silver Gloves - December 9th in Columbus, Indiana. The winners will move on to a regional tourney. I'm not sure when or where that will be but our guy will have to get through the first round. Since this will be his first bout, no telling how it will go. It's not all that unusual for guys to forget everything you've taught them or even to remember to breathe. We'll find out.

Still on light duty due to the toenailectomy. The surgeon said it takes something like eight months for the toenail to grow all the way back in. I'm hoping it heals up enough I can get back to walking and working without it becoming irritated before too much longer. 

Happy Halloween/ Dia de los Muerto!

No comments: