Saturday, October 14, 2023

Ruck Sack

 


I went out to the shop yesterday to make the missing fastener on the ruck sack and on closer inspection, the right side in the photo never had a hook arrangement. It's got a buckle and collar that are sewn to the ruck. I'm just guessing here, but I think the one side is supposed to stay attached after adjusting to length. After slinging up that side, it's possible to then hook up the other side making it easier to put the ruck on. 


The inside is divided into two compartments and it has two sets of flaps to seal it off after loading it up. The flaps are fit with grommets that have a drawstring running through them. Pull the cord and it closes up the flaps. The inside set of flaps is missing the drawstring but I think some 550 cord will work nicely.

There are two big pockets on the back and two almost pockets on the sides. I'm pretty sure those were for the bedroll. The bedroll would go under the top flap and then into the side pockets and cinched down. 

The ruck is heavily wrinkled and smelling pretty musty. I'm going to stuff it full, hang it on the line and hose it down. Hopefully, that will take some of the wrinkles out and make it smell better. I'm not certain but I think it has some sort of wax coating on it which eliminates the possibility of using an iron on it.

Now that I've got this thing, I'm thinking a wool blanket would be a nice addition. I've got a bugout bag in the truck, but it wouldn't hurt to get this set up with essentials for a day hike. Since I'm planning on using this as part of my strength and cardio training, just get it loaded up with about 20-25 pounds worth and get moving.

1 comment:

Surly said...

A cup of white vinegar (and no soap) in the washing machine and line dry will probably take care of the smell.
Venture Surplus has some wool blend blankets cheap and I'd advise picking up a woobie while you're there.
I'll send you links.