Thursday, October 26, 2023

Almost There

 


I managed to get the Sportster brake shoes installed without doing any damage to myself or the parts. Those are some stout springs! I installed the springs, held one of the shoes in the vise, pulled the shoes apart enough to put the pivot pin in place, levered the shoes open with a big screwdriver, put a piece of flat stock in the opening, and then shoved the shoes over the actuating cam. Actually pretty easy.


I mounted the seat up and welded the bolt heads to the backing plate for the rack mount and then re-installed the rear wheel. I'll get the chain installed and then the ass end of the bike should be finished. 

I'll get the new front tire mounted and it'll be just about ready to shove into the corner until next spring - talking a chance of snow on Halloween. After that it's back on the jitney and finish up the vintage trials bike. I've got most of the household chores done to winterize things other than bringing some plants into the house. Not looking forward to winter, but I don't want to move to Florida for three months, either. There is no Shangri-La I suppose. Even if there was, I wouldn't want to have to pack up all my junk and move it there.

No comments: